Friday, February 18, 2011

Obnoxious Tourist Fridays


I'm beyond understanding the way this blog decides to format itself...

So today was "obnoxious tourist friday". Beverly and I decided to see some of the sights in the city and take altogether too many photos of each other posing with ridiculous inanimate objects (trees, mainly). I was finally able to visit the cathedral, which has been a goal of mine since arriving here, and am thrilled. I plan on going back-the sacred art on display is some of the most unique I've seen in that specific context and I can't wait for a second look. The collection at the cathedral was small but it featured Canarian artists, and some really progressive art from the 16th-18th centuries. The photos above are of the cathedral and one of many statues of dogs which face the cathedral and gaze up at it. This one was offering a pigeon. I think it's Cain in dog form.





While walking around the city buildings like these appear, seemingly out of nowhere. They're fantastic reminders of the city's colonial history, and are often used as government or city offices. How cool would it be to work in a turquoise mansion?

Seeing the mural while walking up the road was fantastic-graffiti is everywhere in the city, but it often seems to be more artistic than destructive. Beverly and I exclaimed over the mural, stopped in the middle of the street, and photographed it for longer than we should have. Long live tourist fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment